7.01.2009

Deaf and Dumb--Part 1

In February, I learned of a recent ad campaign. Funded by individual sponsors, the Atheist Bus Campaign utilized tube stations and buses to spread an important message across the British Isles: “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.” (A Slice of Infinity, 2/4/09)

Philip Pullman utilizes the well-crafted fantasy world of the His Dark Materials trilogy (including The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass) to gradually put forth some similarly disturbing thoughts. Mary Malone, one of the characters from The Amber Spyglass, offers Pullman’s young hero and heroine an expanded version of the Atheist Bus Campaign’s ideology:
“I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn’t any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that’s all….I thought, ‘Will anyone be better off if I go straight back to [my room] and say my prayers and confess to the priest and promise never to fall into temptation again? Will anyone be the better for making me miserable?’ And the answer came back—no. No one will. There’s no one to fret, no one to condemn, no one to bless me for being a good girl, no one to punish me for being wicked. Heaven is empty. I didn’t know whether God had died, or whether there had never been a God at all” (chap 33).

The heart of Pullman’s own particular message begins to surface as one enters the final third of The Amber Spyglass:
“Well, where is God,” said Mrs. Coulter, “if he’s alive? And why doesn’t he speak anymore? At the beginning of the world, God walked in the Garden and spoke with Adam and Eve. Then he began to withdraw, and he forbade Moses to look at his face. Later, in the time of Daniel, he was aged—he was the Ancient of Days. Where is he now? Is he still alive, as some inconceivable age, decrepit and demented, unable to think or act or speak and unable to die, a rotten hulk? And if that is his condition, wouldn’t it be the most merciful thing, the truest proof of our love for God, to seek him out and give him the gift of death?” (chap 24).

Later, the adolescent heroine and hero of Pullman’s trilogy demonstrate that merciful love of which Mrs. Coulter speaks. They stumble upon a heavenly being, an ancient personage of “terrifying decrepitude, of a face sunken in wrinkles, of trembling hands, and of a mumbling mouth and rheumy eyes,” captive within a crystal carrier or litter (chap 30). Moved by the plight of such a pathetic figure, the children free him from the crystal encasement. This pitiful being, no longer capable of speech or thought, “would have followed them anywhere, having no will of his own, and responding to simple kindness like a flower to the sun” (chap 31). But once exposed to the open air, his wizened body cannot withstand the wind’s pull. He begins to dissolve before the children’s eyes; and “their last impression was of those eyes, blinking in wonder, and a sigh of the most profound and exhausted relief” (chap 31). A girl and a boy unwittingly perform the greatest act of kindness humanity can offer: releasing God from his long, enfeebled toil.

Pullman adds further layers to this idea throughout the His Dark Materials trilogy, but the implication is clear: God is hostage to our persistent and unwarranted need of him. No longer essential, the Creator remains trapped in our selfish ignorance.

The pendulum of thought swings back to the Clockmaker Theory, this time with a flavor of moral relativism. If I wish to believe in the existence of God, that’s fine. It’s even possible that there was a God. He may have been instrumental in setting up the world; he may have involved himself with humanity for a time. But he is no longer evident. The God we continue to hold captive to the whims of our own pathetic need is dreadfully advanced in years. He no longer possesses the ability to communicate or direct. He is mute. Speechless. Dumb.

But that’s all right: God is no longer necessary. The cogs and gears work just fine on their own. So why bother God (assuming he ever existed, assuming he exists still)? “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.” In essence: “Thanks for the jumpstart, God…if you actually gave us one. But you’re free to go now. We’ll take it from here.” How sad. How arrogant. How frightening.

On behalf of the thousands and millions who will be affected by such a message, I am enraged. “Better to have a millstone hung around your neck and be cast into the sea” than to actively promote such lies. I also find myself sincerely mourning for Mr. Pullman and the sponsors of the Atheist Bus Campaign. My heart breaks under the knowledge that anyone would cling to the hopeless hope of this three-dimensional world. To borrow the imagery of C.S. Lewis, we forge “little scratches in the crust” of Truth, and satisfy ourselves with the lifeless knowledge to be found in our wealth of “dead gold, dead silver, dead gems” (The Silver Chair, chap. 14).

*******
This is the first of what will be at least two or three installments. Where do you think our examination will turn next? And aside from conjectures about the direction of my thoughts, dear reader, what are your own thoughts at this point?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of Christians themselves live their lives in this frame of mind. I certainly used to. I didn't know a personal God. He was never one that directs and speaks to us outside of the Bible. God's direction was: Do not murder. Do not steal. Love people... etc. Anyone who felt God was directing them to do something was crazy and just coming up with an excuse to do something or have something. God doesn't direct. God is mute. God is impersonal. Many Christians even go through their days having the mindset that there is no plan for there life; God won't use them in his plans. As long as they aren't breaking commandments, God is pleased with them and they can "kick back and enjoy life." God doesn't care what I do with my life, He's too busy with bigger things! I don't sin a lot; God is pleased with me.

not4myself said...

So how does your current perception differ from that view?

Anonymous said...

God is very much directly involved in our lives and is very personal. He does indeed have a voice and a plan for our lives beyond human reasoning. He desires for us to daily strive to walk with Him, not for us to have the "good Christian ways" down and stand in one place.

not4myself said...

What attitude(s) seemed to dominate your previous mindset? (e.g. fear, boredom, etc.)
What occurences or thought processes have led to your change of mind? And how has your attitude altered (if youhave noticed any difference)?

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to sound like a college professor? ;) What happens if I fail this test? I'm not good with essays... :P

I was always really reserved and I wasn’t overly happy/joyous all the time. People would always ask me why I never smiled. I was always in a more serious mind set of this is what I have to do and this is how things are done and this is how I need to act. Especially if there was work to be done that was the only thing on my mind and there was no horsing around. I worried a lot. I wasn’t in a constant state of fear (unless it was thunder storming), but I did worry about things. I did have a passionate phobia of tornados and it got to the point where it could be sunny outside and if a strong breeze came through I would totally freak out. I wasn’t bored in the general sense, but I was bored with God. Church and God didn’t exactly peak my interest and were boring things you observed on the side. It was a “have to” and not a “want to.” I hated getting up in the morning for church; I would have much rather been sleeping or doing about anything else. God was boring. I’m sure I had some arrogance thrown in there too. I always had the mind set of this is what’s right and that’s what’s wrong and if you deviate from the mind set you have issues and are misguided. Those are the main ones that popped in my head after some thought. I can’t pick out a specific attitude necessarily though that was overly pronounced.

After experiencing God in some new ways and my little box getting shook up I started to think differently. I realized God was a lot bigger than I made Him out to be. I also started realizing that He really does love me and loves me more than anyone else possibly could. I started growing closer to Him and the closer I got and the more I surrendered to Him and the more my world got bigger, the happier I got and the more peace I had. I started noticing things I had never noticed before and felt things I had never felt before. As I started giving things over to Him my fears and worries started to melt. I no longer fear tornados and in fact I love it when it rains and thunder storms. I don’t live in a constant state of worry, even with all that’s been going on. I get excited about learning about God and being with Him. And though I’m still not happy all the time, I’ve found out what it means to have God given joy and true happiness when I get to be with Him. I’m not afraid to admit when I’m wrong and I don’t worry about what other people might think. I know I’m messed up and you know it too, so why do I need to hide it? I don’t have all the right answers to life and theology and I never will. In general as I’ve grown closer to God things that I’ve struggled with in the past that dominated my mind and kept me enslaved have melted away and I don’t struggle with them anymore.

not4myself said...

^_^

Oh, dear reader, we serve such an amazing God! *-* Thank you for sharing, my friend.