8.12.2009

That Which the Locust Has Eaten

~A Memory~

In my parents' house, we’ve used the same set of Tupperware water glasses for as long as I can recall. Six tall plastic cups—each a different pastel color. None of us ever used the yellow cup or the peach cup; they resided in the cabinet, waiting for company. But the remaining four Tupperware glasses were permanently assigned: Dad used blue; Mom had pink; my younger sister Becky chose green; and I took white.

When I was twelve, I stopped drinking from the white glass.

~ ~ ~

I’ve always loved experimenting with food. (My poor Mom! She suffered through some very interesting concoctions in the early years. I understand there was even a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich on garlic bread. Mom says that’s the only one of my bizarre creations she just couldn’t bring herself to eat.) One morning when I was twelve, I decided to make breakfast for everyone: Cream of Wheat, the breakfast of champions. I chose to use a saucepan rather than the microwave because Dad and Becky both liked their Cream of Wheat to be lumpy. (Lumps are more easily created in the slow cooking method.) But before dividing the hot cereal into four servings, I put a few drops of food coloring in the bottom of each empty bowl. Dad received blue; Mom got pink; Becky had green; and I used the remaining color, yellow, for myself. Then I gently spooned Cream of Wheat into each bowl, all the while being careful not to expose the color buried underneath. When each person stirred sugar into his or her breakfast, it changed colors!

I was delighted by the success of my “magic trick.” Becky giggled: her cereal now resembled Nickelodeon slime. Mom remarked that her pink Cream of Wheat looked as though it should taste like strawberry as she smiled and ate.

Dad exploded.

As soon as blue streaks appeared in his bowl, Dad’s bulky shoulders stiffened. “What is this!” he demanded. By the time all of his cereal acquired a tranquil blue tint, Dad’s mouth and brow were contorted in fury. His blue eyes darkened as they bored into me. “This is disgusting! Why would you do this to my food!” Heavy anger clenched his hands. After one final glare of outrage, Dad shoved back from the table, rose, roughly grabbed his bowl, and stalked across the room. Metal spoon scraped against ceramic: I watched my father force his bowl to regurgitate its pretty blue contents, lumps and all, into the trash can.

Turning to glare at me again, Dad sneered, “I’ll make my own breakfast.” He made a great display of finding a clean pan. He then cooked a single serving of untainted Cream of Wheat and returned to the table, pointedly ignoring me.

Reader, I had been so excited, so proud of my special breakfast idea. I sat there watching Dad devour his white, unsullied Cream-of-Wheat...and a small piece of my twelve-year-old heart quietly died. A larger piece screamed in defiance.

“Would you refill my glass?” Dad handed me his blue cup without raising his eyes from his breakfast.

I walked to the kitchen counter and poured my father a fresh glass of water without any complaint. But defiance still screamed within me. The nearby salt shaker seemed to offer a quiet invitation in response to my heart’s war cry. Without pausing to consider the possible consequences, I accepted the offer. Even as I grasped the glass shaker and watched the first battery of hard white crystals whfft! into the blue cup, I knew my actions were wrong. But I didn’t care. Two, three, four dashes of salt into the cold, thirsty water.

I returned Dad’s blue glass calmly to his waiting hand. Collecting empty bowls, I was back at the counter studiously organizing dirty pots and dishes by the time I heard the first spluttering gulp behind me. Dad’s cup slammed down on the table; the delayed sounds of water splashing out were lost in his roar.

“You put salt in my water?!” I turned to see his fleshy cheeks shaking and his mouth contorted. One large hand still clenched the pale blue cup, knuckles whitening at though they grasped my neck. His shortage of words was my clearest indicator of the depth of his rage. White overtook his face; blue eyes devoured me.

I said nothing. The fear in my mind narrowly outweighed the vengeance in my heart.

With a snarl on his lips, Dad jerked to his feet, snatched my white glass from its place on the table, and stalked out of the room.

Leaning against the kitchen counter, I watched him return a few minutes later, striding directly toward me. He held out my white glass. Brassy-yellow liquid filled it to the brim. And then the warm tang of urine reached my nose.

My father moved in close. Using his bulky frame to force me back against the kitchen counter, he brandished my white glass—shoved a full glass of his own urine—in my face. His blue eyes hard as crystal, Dad stared at me and ordered, “Drink this. All of it. This is what it’s like when you mess with my food!”

~ ~ ~

I remember the hard edge of the countertop cutting into my lower back during the long minutes I tearfully refused the cup he sought to force on me. The rage in his eyes was almost gleeful. Malice filled his loud threats. “Drink it!” he continued to shout. “You like trying new things. Try this!”

I remember Mom rushing to my side. She tried to reason with him; he only grew more belligerent. I remember grasping the counter behind me and arching far away from the yellow warmth of his urine, as my white drinking glass continued to be pressed toward my lips. Mom’s repeated attempts to reason with him; his repeated insistence that I needed a lesson. I remember my hands shaking. I remember sobbing. I remember knowing with absolute certainty: “He is really going to make me drink it.”

After several minutes, Mom finally managed to placate him—talk him down. By then, Dad knew he’d won. That was enough to satisfy him.

Mom bleached my white glass. Multiple times. But I never could bring myself to drink from it again. I chose to use the yellow cup instead. The white drinking glass joined the peach glass in the cabinet. But any time company came over, it didn’t matter whether Mom, Becky, or I was the one pouring drinks: each of us used the white cup only as a last resort. And if we did have to give someone that glass, we were always secretly embarrassed about it. I myself never have touched the white cup to my lips since that memorable day. But the few times that incident subsequently came up in family conversation, Dad didn’t even remember it happening.

~ ~ ~

Now, we only have five Tupperware drinking glasses. The peach cup still sits in the cabinet, waiting for company. The blue one waits with it. As for the rest, Mom has pink; Becky chooses green; and I take the yellow.

Last August, I finally burned the white glass.

~ ~ ~

I'm going to enable the comment function on this post. Please keep in mind that sharing this event is not a cry for sympathy. There will be a related follow-up post coming soon. If you have questions or comments--if this causes you to think and you'd like to think "out loud" among friends--you are more than welcome to do so.

I am continuing to pray for you, dear reader. And thank you for your prayers as well!

9 comments:

Kathy R. said...

Kimbo,

I know the things you're being asked to re-examine and write about are very painful. I just want you to know that I love you and am proud of the way you're allowing the Lord to work in and through you.

Mom

not4myself said...

*-*
Thank you, Mommy! (And yes, typing up this one memory took nearly a whole month. Whew!)

I am so grateful that the Lord has enabled you to walk beside me; and that He has similarly allowed me to walk beside you. When I think of all the changes our Lord has brought into each of our lives...when I reflect upon the growth He's built into our relationship with each other... Wow!

I'm proud of you, too! I love you dearly, my Pearl of Mothers and Mother of Pearls.

Anonymous said...

If we've asked forgiveness of our sins and God doesn't remember them anymore, how can He walk us through our past?

not4myself said...

That's a terrific question. Give me a little while to formulate a reply. I'll get back with you on that one.

<3

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OaMNx68S7g ^_^

not4myself said...

We serve a God whose holiness demands justification for our sins. When we accept the gift of Jesus sacrifice, our guilt is atoned--it is obliterated.

And yes, we do indeed serve a righteous God. But we do not serve a callous God. Adonai is as loving as He is holy. He weeps with those who weep. Our shed tears are not forgotten, my dear friend. Not by the Most High. Jesus' blood removes our guilt; it does not erase our past. The pain does not magically disappear. We still bear "scars on top of scars."

In His perfect love, the Lord leads us back through our dark and painful past. Sometimes He shows us attitudes or actions for which we need to ask another’s forgiveness. Sometimes He walks us through words and deeds used against us, and then enables us to forgive someone else. And always, always He shows us where He was during our most difficult circumstances. The protective weight of our Father’s arms encircled us. The murmured assurances of our Lover filled our minds and hearts. The solace of our Comforter sang joy and strength into our spirits. As the Lord leads us to revisit, we receive this most precious gift: the realization of all that we were too beleaguered to perceive the first time around.

Adonai Nissi walks us through our past not to condemn, but to create. He heals us. He transforms those “scars on top of scars” into intricate designs—works of art unique to each servant. He gives us something beautiful to share: “Look at this! Look at what the Lord has given me. Isn’t it beautiful! How generous is my Lord and Lover! How loving! How Good!”

I am praying fervently for you as the Lord helps you revisit and heal. Have courage, dear heart! Keep pressing in.

Anonymous said...

You know there's comments on some of your old stuff...

Anonymous said...

Sparky sure had fun the last few days. O.o You didn't happen to give her my answer did you? :P

not4myself said...

I'm continuing to pray for you, Imoutochan. I'mpraying about an answer to your questions as well. It's in progress; sorry for the wait. Just remember, dear heart: the biggest lie you will ever hear is that you are powerless and uworthy to call upon the name of the One who loves you best and protects you always. He has declared you worthy. He has granted you authority. Don't buy into the blatant lie that you have no defense. Cling to Jesus. Keep pressing in, my friend. ^_^